Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Texas Ebony trees are blooming crazy!

It’s been very humid in the last few days – unbearable especially when the day struggles to make it at 102-104F. It reminds me of all those years growing up in the Philippines where its humid all year round. Everyone carried baby powder and showered 2-3x a day as a way of life.

My Texas Ebony trees on the other hand are enjoying this new found source of moisture. Billows of white fuzzy blooms sprouted almost instantly giving its dark green hue a fight for its glory. Delicately scented which seems to attract a lot of bees.

Normally I would be so concerned about keeping insects away by taking radical measures such as smoking the branches out but I’m glad I’m doing my part in keeping bees happy.

This prickly mesquite like tree is also known as Pithecellobium Flexicaule (refers to its sweet bean pulp and flexuous branches) typically bloom in late spring and through much of the summer.
Because of its small leaves, this tree is perfect for places that reach high temperatures. It also thrives perfectly in highly dense clay soil which are pretty much a staple here in Las Vegas, Nevada.

No comments:

Post a Comment